CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. - The Union College women's soccer team dropped a 9-4 decision on the road at Campbellsville in NAIA action on Wednesday night. The match was the 2013 season opener for the Lady Bulldogs.
With the defeat, Union fell to 0-1, while Campbellsville improved to 1-1.
In the first half, things got off to a fast start, as the teams combined to score four goals in the first 11 minutes of play.
Campbellsville got on the board first with a goal in the third minute, which was followed up quickly by the Lady Bulldogs. Junior Aline Dalmedico scored her first goal of the night seconds later to knot things up at one. Senior Danielle Gilbert recorded an assist on the play.
Campbellsville grabbed the lead back with a score in the sixth minute, only to be followed up once again by a Dalmedico goal, this time in the 11th minute. The unassisted score tied things up at 2-all.
From there, however, Campbellsville dominated play, scoring four unanswered goals to end the half to take a 6-2 lead going into the locker room for intermission. The Lady Tigers came out in the second half and increased the lead to 8-2 after two quick goals.
In the final 10 minutes, and with the score at 9-2 after CU converted a penalty kick successfully in the 65th minute, Union scored the final two goals of the contest. Hayley Fox scored an unassisted goal in the 83rd minute, and Dalmedico completed the hat trick with a score in the 89th minute, also of the unassisted variety.
Overall, Campbellsville outshot Union by a wide margin (32-14), and held an 11-0 advantage on corner kicks on the night.
With the score tied at 2-2 in the first half, CU's Mhari Fyfe scored in the 18th minute to give the Lady Tigers a 3-2 lead. This opened the floodgates for the host side, as they went on to score seven unanswered goals to put the match out of Union's reach.
By the Numbers
- Dalmedico picked up where she left off last season in the season opener, as the reigning AAC Offensive Player of the Year recorded the first hat trick of her career in the match. Last season, Dalmedico scored twice in two matches
- Dalmedico has now scored 15 goals on her career after the three goal performance on the night.
- Gilbert recorded an assist on Dalmedico's second goal, marking the first time since Oct. 1, 2011 (vs. Bluefield) that the senior has notched an assist.
- Fox's goal was her first since an Oct. 17 match vs. Tennessee Wesleyan at home. The score was also the third of her career.
- With the loss, Union moved to 1-2 in season openers under head coach Camila Mendes. In her first season at the helm in 2011, the Lady Bulldogs lost 2-1 to Cumberland (Tenn.), while the squad defeated Rio Grande (Ohio) last season, 1-0.
The Lady Bulldogs look to bounce back on Saturday, as they host Georgetown (Ky.) in the team's 2013 home opener at Burch/Nau Field. Action gets underway at 5 p.m.