BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Junior Victor Lima scored the golden goal in the 94th minute, lifting the Union College men's soccer team to a 3-2 victory over Cumberland (Tenn.) in overtime on Saturday at Burch/Nau Field.
With the win, Union improved to 2-1-1 overall, while Cumberland fell to 1-3-0 with the defeat.
In the first period, freshman Alex Smith continued his fast start to the young season with another goal, this one coming in the fourth minute to give Union the early 1-0 lead. Smith scored the goal off a fine cross from Jason Jacobs, a fellow freshman, who put the ball right inside the box for Smith who finished the play for a score.
Cumberland, however, struck back in the 29th minute, tying the match on a Elliot Goodwin goal. As the contest neared halftime, Union took the lead back, as Erik Holmqvist scored in the 43rd minute to give Union a 2-1 lead going into intermission. Two players were credited with assists on the goal, as Lima softly put a corner in play to Joe Butcher, who fired a cross near the net that Holmqvist finished.
In the second half, things slowed down considerably, as the Union defense turned away Cumberland from scoring the tying goal.
However, in the 84th minute, Union was called for a foul, setting up a Cumberland free kick by Josh Armstrong. Armstrong fired a ball toward the net, and goalie CJ Hopkins appeared to have made a save on the play. But, Hopkins let the ball slip through his hands, and into the back of the net, tying the match at 2-2.
In overtime, the only shot taken by either team was by Lima, who scored the game-winner off a cross from Butcher. Lima played the cross from about 10 yards out, firing the ball into the back of the net to give Union the thrilling overtime win.
Overall, Union out-shot Cumberland 21-12, and held a 5-1 advantage on corner kicks. In net, Hopkins made four saves on the day in a little over 94 minutes of time in net.
By the Numbers
- Smith continued his impressive early season roll in the match, scoring his fifth goal of the young season early in the first half.
- Butcher's two assist match was the fourth of his career. He has now recorded 15 assists in his Union career.
- Holmqvist, a freshman, scored his first career goal in the match. Meanwhile, Lima's first goal as a Bulldog came in overtime, as the junior transferred into the program before the season.
- This marked the second straight year a Union-Cumberland match went into overtime. Last year, the match ended in a 2-2 double overtime draw at Cumberland.
- The overtime victory was the first for Union in extra frames since Oct. 1, 2009, when the Bulldogs bested Milligan (Tenn.), 1-0.
Union opens Appalachian Athletic Conference play on Tuesday, hosting Truett-McConnell (Ga.) Action gets underway at 3 p.m. at Burch/Nau Field.