BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Union reeled off 51 second-half points to rally for an 85-74 victory over visiting Tennessee Temple at the Union College Holiday Classic on Friday.
With the win, the Bulldogs improve to 8-4 on the year, while the Crusaders fall to 2-7. In the Classic's other game, Cumberlands (Ky.) posted a 73-56 decision over Montreat (N.C.).
The Classic concludes Saturday with Montreat and Tennessee Temple playing at 2 p.m. and Union and Cumberlands squaring off at 4 p.m.
The Bulldogs got a strong second half out of Haley Perkins, who netted 17 of her 19 points during the final 20 minutes as she recorded her first double-double of the season. The sophomore guard also grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Union led by as much as 12 points in the first half, but Tennessee Temple stormed back. Down 18-6 at the 10:24 mark, the Crusaders went on a 15-2 run to grab a 21-20 lead with 6:43 left. The lead swapped hands five times during the final minutes of the period as Tennessee Temple scored the final five points to take a 39-34 lead into the break.
The teams treaded water for the first eight minutes of the second half with the Crusaders holding a 58-52 lead with 11:45 to go. During the next six minutes, Union embarked on a 16-2 run to grab a 68-60 advantage with 5:42 to play. During the rally, Amber Taylor and Macy Clontz each scored four points with Perkins capping it with an old-fashioned, three-point play.
Tennessee Temple cut the margin back down to four following an Amanda Rector bucket with 4:42 left. However, Union used a 7-0 surge to open up a 75-64 lead and maintained a comfortable lead en route to the 85-74 win.
Four Bulldogs scored in double figures. Joining Perkins was Taylor, who led the way with 21 points to with her six assists. Aaliyah Lumson knocked in 15 points, and Lydia Nash scored 14.
For the Crusaders, Rector set the pace with 20 points and 10 rebounds, while TaQuasha O'Neal also netted 20 points. Jessica Salera and Kristina Pumpura helped out with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
By the Numbers
- Union made a living at the free-throw line in the second half. After going 3-for-6 at the line in the first half, the Bulldogs hit 24-of-28 in the second.
- The Bulldogs made eight 3-pointers in the win, marking the seventh game in a row Union has made at least seven in a game. For the season, Union has made seven or more 3-pointers in nine games this season.
- The 11 rebounds matches a career high for Perkins. Last season, she 11 rebounds against Tennessee Wesleyan on Dec. 1, 2012.
- Union converted TTU's 23 turnovers into 28 points. Meanwhile, TTU scored only 11 points off of Union's 18 miscues.
- The Bulldogs blocked a season-high six shots.