WEST POINT, Ga. - Union College guard DeAntray Stevens scored a game-high 26 points to lead the way, as the No. 22 Bulldogs leaped out to a big halftime lead and never looked back, knocking off Point (Ga.), 101-74, in Appalachian Athletic Conference action on Wednesday night.
With the victory, Union won their 12th straight game, improving to 22-3 overall and 14-1 in the AAC. The Bulldogs also clinched at least a share of the 2013-14 AAC Regular Season Conference Title in the win, as well. Point fell to 5-20 on the year, 4-10 with the loss..
In the first half, things remained close in the first eight minutes, as the game was tied up at 20-all with 11:47 left. Here, however, was where the Bulldogs began a scoring tear, rolling on a 24-4 run to open a 44-24 lead 5:46 remaining in the period.
The Bulldogs continued to roll into the half, going up 54-28 at the break, ending the period on a 34-8 scoring flurry to go up 26 at the break. The Bulldog defense was relentless in the half, holding the Skyhawks to just 27.6 percent shooting from the floor in the first stanza.
It was more of the same in the second half, as the Bulldogs opened a 30-point lead with 11:41 left (75-45). From there, Union coasted, on their way to a big 27-point conference victory on the road.
Overall, Stevens paced the Bulldogs on the night, shooting 10-of-15 from the floor (4-of-8 from three-point range) to score 26. Elsewhere, forward Deante Johnson continued his solid play, scoring 24 points - shooting 9-of-11 from the floor (6-of-6 from the free throw line) - while Tarik Smith and Gerard Newby scored 11 points, apiece, to round out the double-digit scorers on the night for Union.
Point was led in the loss by Brandon Wright, who scored 21 points.
By the Numbers
- Union has now won 15 of their last 16 games, 12 straight AAC contests and still has yet to lose a game since the calendar turned to 2014.
- This is the second time in program history that the Bulldogs have clinched at least a share of the AAC Regular Season title, accomplishing the feat last in 2009-10. It is also the ninth total regular season conference championship in school history (seven came in the KIAC).
- The Bulldogs went over the century mark once again in the victory, marking the third time in four games they have done so. This is the 10th time they have done it on year, as well (Union is 9-1 in those game).
- Johnson scored in double-figures once again, marking the seventh straight game he has done so. The junior forward has now scored in double-digits in 20 of the 25 games he has played in on the year.
- Meanwhile, Stevens has scored in double-figures in nine of the 11 games he has played in since being inserted into the lineup at the beginning of January.
The Bulldogs jump out-of-conference on Saturday, traveling to Hiwassee (Tenn.). Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.