BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Senior Amber Taylor handed out dimes like it was candy as she dished out a school-record 18 assists in Union's 110-70 Appalachian Athletic Conference win over visiting Columbia (S.C.) on Saturday.
The Clinton, Tenn., native, bested the long-standing school mark of 15, which had been hit twice in program history. Anna Mills first accomplished the feat against Alice Lloyd (Ky.) during the 1990-91 season, and Andrea Hillard equaled that mark on Nov. 30, 2006, against Midway (Ky.).
This marks the fifth time this season Taylor posted 10 or more assists in a game. Her previous high was 14 against Milligan (Tenn.) on Jan. 30.
The 18 assists are also a season high for all of NAIA Division II. The previous best was 14 assists in a game, achieved by Taylor and two others.
For the season, Taylor has 154 assists and is 27 away from becoming the fifth player in program history to amass 400 in a career.
With the win, Union improves to 17-8 overall and 13-4 in the AAC, while Columbia falls to 7-18 overall and 3-12 in league play.
Early on the Bulldogs struggled to find their groove. The lead stayed within a few points during the first six-plus minutes of the game with the Koalas take a 10-9 lead at the 15:29 mark. Up 13-12, Union picked up the pace by going on a 13-0 run to open up a 25-12 cushion with 8:20 to go in the half. The Bulldog offense went into hyperdrive, reeling off 33 points during the final eight minutes of the period to take a 58-32 lead into the break.
Taylor had 11 assists at the half.
It was more of the same in the second half as the Bulldogs outscored the Koalas 52-38 en route to the 110-70 decision.
Lydia Nash lead the Union scoring attack with 31 points on 11-of-15 shooting and going 9-of-11 at the foul line. Next was Adreana Jefferson, who scored a career-high 15 points. Her previous best 10. Alyson Roberts added 13 points, and freshman Reagan King established a career-high with 12 points.
Taylor nearly had a double-double as she had eight rebounds. on Saturday. Haley Perkins just missed a double-double as well with eight poings and a team-high 10 rebounds.
For Columbia, Taylor Smith led the way with 13 points and 12 rebounds with BriAna Johnson contributing 11 points.
By the Numbers
- This is the first time this season Union hit the century mark. The last time the Bulldogs scored 100 points in a game was on Nov. 20, 2012, when they won 107-87 over Asbury (Ky.). Union scored over 100 points in a game three times last season.
- With her four rebounds, Roberts is the 16th player in program history to amass 400 in a career. She currently has 402.
- Jennifer Thomas had one of her best all-around games ever with seven points, seven rebounds and five assists.
- Union posted a season-high 33 assists in the win. The Bulldogs made 40 field goals.
- Both teams grabbed 60 rebounds with 50 of the combined 120 coming off the offensive glass.
- Taylor has swiped a season-high seven steals.
Union hits the road Wednesday to face St. Andrews (N.C.) in another AAC contest. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.