WALESKA, Ga. - Union College guard DeAntray Stevens scored a team-high 22 points, as the No. 24 Bulldogs never trailed in a dominating 101-89 win at Reinhardt (Ga.) on Saturday afternoon in Appalachian Athletic Conference action. The ballgame was the 2013-14 regular season finale for both teams.
With the win, the Bulldogs capped off an historic regular season, finishing with a 25-4 overall record and a 16-2 mark in the AAC. The Bulldogs clinched the AAC's Regular Season Championship on Wednesday night in a win against Bryan (Tenn.), but with today's win will win the conference by three games.
Union put the host Eagles away early, opening a 20-9 lead with 11:29 left in the first half after Michael Bueter nailed a three-pointer. After Reinhardt cut the lead down to eight points (29-21) with 8:27 left, the Bulldogs ended the half on a 29-12 run, capped off by a Fitzgerald White three at the buzzer, giving Union a 58-33 lead at the break.
To start the second half, the Bulldogs blew the game completely open, going on a 12-1 run in the first three minutes of the period to go up by 36 points (70-34). It was academic from that point on, as Union coasted in the second half on their way to a convincing 12-point victory on the road.
Overall, Stevens led all Bulldog scorers with his 22-point day, shooting 9-of-14 from the floor. Elsewhere, forward Deante Johnson posted another double-figure scoring day with 16 points, while Bueter also scored 16 points, nailing four three-pointers (a season best).
Reinhardt, who ends the regular season with a 16-12 record, 13-5 in the AAC, was led in the loss by Quinton Wood, who scored 22 points.
By the Numbers
- The Bulldogs won 18 of its last 20 games on the 2013-14 regular season. With 25 victories on the year, Union is now two wins away from matching the program record for victories in a season (27), which was set by the 1967-68 team.
- Union also ends the season with a 10-3 record on the road, dropping only one AAC game away from home in conference play.
- The Bulldogs went over the 100-point barrier for the 11th time on the 2013-14 season and is now 10-1 when they score 100 or more points.
- Reinhardt, who will be the number two seed at next week's AAC Tournament, has had a tough time with the Bulldogs this season. Union beat the Eagles by double-digits (11 and 12 points) in both regular season meetings, and trailed Reinhardt for only 44 combined seconds of regulation in the match-ups.
- Johnson scored in double-figures for the 11th straight game in today's win, while Stevens scored in double-digits for the 12th time in 15 games played on the year.
Union will enter the 2014 AAC Tournament as the number one seed and will start play at the MeadowView Marriott Convention Center in Kingsport, Tenn. on Thursday morning. Stay tuned to UCBulldogs.com for more information on the tournament as it becomes available.