BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Union had to battle all day it seemed, but in the end, the Bulldogs finished strong to pull out the 8-6 victory over visiting Cincinnati Clermont (Ohio) on Tuesday.
Union improves to 20-7 on the year, while Clermont falls to 6-3.
Neither team appeared to be able to take control of the game, but a pair of two-run innings by the Bulldogs put them in front for good as Union held on for the 8-6 decision.
Down 3-2 in the fifth, Ryan Horvath (JR/Madison Heights, Mich.) came through with a two-out, two-run triple to put Union up one. A Ryan Mummert solo home run tied the game in the top of the sixth, but the Bulldogs picked up two more runs in the bottom of the frame for a 6-4 edge. With two on and one out, Miguel Mendez (SR/Lansing, Mich.) singled to center to drive in Justin Elder (JR/Seven Mile, Ohio) and J.D. Burrell (JR/Amanda, Ohio) to make it a two-run contest.
The Cougars pushed across an unearned run in the seventh, cutting the margin to 6-5. Yet, the Bulldogs tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the eighth for a three-run cushion. Mendez delivered a run-scoring single before coming home on a Nelson Price (JR/Burkesville, Ky.) sac fly, making it 8-5 Union.
Clermont squeaked out another unearned run in the ninth, but it was not enough as Union won 8-6.
Justin King (JR/Barbourville, Ky.) pitched the final 3 1/3 innings to pick up the win, improving to 4-0 on the year. He gave up two unearned runs on two hits and no walks with two strikeouts.
At the plate, Mendez drove in three RBIs in going 2-for-5. John Wilson (JR/Manchester, Ky.) also went 2-for-5 with a RBI, and Horvath ended the down with two RBIs on 1-for-3 hitting.
By the Numbers
- This is the second time this season Union had two triples in a game. The last time it happened came against Ohio State-Lima on Feb. 23.
- Clermont outhit Union 12-8, but the Bulldogs collected seven bases on balls.
- Union has been walked 173 times this season, while the opposition has only 93 bases on balls. The Bulldogs boast an on-base percentage of .440.
- Mendez stole his team-high 20th base today. Last season, he had only 23 and the team high was 28.
- Price leads the team with 35 RBIs. He posted a career-best 39 RBIs last season.
Union and Clermont will play again on Wednesday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.