BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Union College swept a 3-0 Appalachian Athletic Conference home match against UVa-Wise at home Thursday. It was the fourth straight home win for the Lady Bulldogs.
Union reeled off a 25-7 first-set win to gain control. The Lady Bulldogs won the next set 25-22 before a 26-24 victory sealed the sweep.
Senior Stephanie Pateman (Weyburn, Canada) led the Lady Bulldog with 12 kills. Marlee Cooper (Bloomington, Ill.) and Brooke Vinovich (Somerset, Ky.) had six kills apiece.
Monica Moreland (Louisville, Ky.) accounted for 29 assists with eight digs. She just missed her 17th 30 or more assist performance.
Christina Prindle (Florence, Ky.) recorded a team-high 11 digs. Meg Donnelly (Middletown, Ohio) tied her season high with four aces. Amelia Cantrell (Georgetown, Ky.) provided four total blocks.
The Lady Bulldogs went to 17-8 overall and 12-3 in conference play. In all of Union's 17 wins, the Lady Bulldogs have won the opening set. The victory is also the fourth straight time Union defeated UVa-Wise inside Robsion Arena. UVa-Wise moved to 5-12 in the AAC and 8-19 overall.
Union plays at home again Friday against conference foe Bluefield (Va.) College. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start.
Lady Bulldog Notes
- Union swept UVa-Wise in the first meeting this season.
- The seven points in the first set are the fewest Union has allowed all season and the second time in single digits.
- Union is 11-2 in three-set matches this season.
- Moreland surpassed the 700-assist plateau for the season.
- Vinovich ended the night with 999 career kills.
- When Union gets a 2-0 lead, the Lady Bulldogs have not lost in those 12 matches.